- Ordinance 1302.01
- Check Building & Zoning Department page for permits
- Still have questions? Email Laurie at [email protected] or call at (440) 986-1061
A building permit serves to ensure the work being conducted is in compliance with local, state, and/or national safety regulations. A permit also ensures that inspections will be completed during the required stages of construction and/or renovation. Inspections are completed by State and/or National Certified Inspectors.
All contractors are required to be registered in the Village of South Amherst. This includes contractors doing work that may not require a permit. In addition, all contractors doing electrical, plumbing, HVAC, fire suppression or fire alarm work must provide proof of State of Ohio Licensure when registering. Before hiring a contractor, please make sure they are currently registered to perform work in the Village of South Amherst
For a contractor to register with the Village, they must fulfill certain requirements. All contractors are required to be bonded and show proof of insurance. Contractors doing electrical, plumbing, HVAC, fire suppression or fire alarm work are also required to show proof of their state licensure. This protects property owners should the contractor damage any property. It also ensures that neighbors are protected should the contractor damage their property.
- Yes, if you are changing the footprint of your property
- Zoning permits are required for:
- new construction
- alteration or additions
- side walks
- swimming pools
- accessory buildings
- driveway pipes
- What you need for a permit:
- Parcel number, street address, phone number, approximate cost of project (minus labor), detailed plot drawing that includes; all existing structures, proposed structure, lot measurements and dimensions of proposed structure.
- Lot must be marked prior to inspection
- For permit please contact Laurie at [email protected] or call (440) 986-1061
- Yes, if you want to build closer than 8’ to the lot line or closer than 20’ from back of principal building,
- Yes, if you want a front yard fence higher than 3’.
- To view zoning requirements - Check the zoning ordinances
- Are required - forms
- Permit is good for 4 successive days
- May only have 2 sales per year
- Permits are not required for the Village Wide Sale which will be August 12-14, 2022. There will be no rain date
Please see the link below for information:
- Ordinance 505.01 Dogs & Other Animals Running at Large
- Ordinance 505.08 Nuisance Conditions Prohibited
- Trash pickup is on Wednesdays. Trash containers may be placed roadside no sooner than 12 p.m. the day before trash collection and must be removed by 12 p.m. the day after trash collection.
- Bulk trash days for 2023 are as follows:
- January 18
- February 22
- March 22
- April 19
- May 17
- June 21
- July 19
- August 23
- September 20
- October 18
- November 22
- December 20
- Please note same rule applies for bulk trash -may not be placed curbside until 12 p.m. the day before.
- If you have a sidewalk in front of your property, you are required to keep the sidewalks in repair and free from snow, ice or any nuisance. (ORC 723.011)
- All sidewalks must be maintained in a safe and passable manner.
- Elevations between stone slabs or concrete sections shall not vary by more than one (1) inch.
- When a driveway is of loose stone or gravel, said stone or gravel shall not cover the sidewalk. A through sidewalk must be maintained through the driveway and must meet sidewalk requirements as set forth in Ord. 660.
Property owners will receive their bills from the County Treasurer a minimum of 20 days prior to that due date. If you have questions about making a payment or when taxes are due, contact the Treasurer (440) 329-5787.
Check Tax Department page
Council Meeting Information
- Council generally meets on the second and fourth Monday of each month with the exception of the December at 7:00 p.m. Please refer to the Village Calendar.
- All meetings are open to the public with the exception of Executive Session.
Visitors are recognized and may address Council on the second and fourth Monday of the month.
A list of all current legislation may be found on the Legislation page. To receive a copy of a specific legislation please email [email protected]. All codified ordinances may be viewed by clicking on the Walther Drane link on the Legislation page.
Income Tax, Permits (Building, Contractor, Zoning, Park, Rummage), Water, Mayor's Court Citations.
If it is not an emergency, leave a voice mail with the department you have called or call the Mayor’s Office at (440) 986-2222 ext. 3 to leave a message and it will get directed to the proper person the next business day. You may also send an email by using the Contact Page on this website.
If it is an emergency call 911
If the light is a traffic signal
If it is a regular street light you may call AEP directly at 877-237-2886 and they will make a repair note. You may also go to https://aepohio.com/outages/report/StreetlightProblem.aspx to report any outages. It is best if you are able to describe the location well or have a pole number (all poles have a number on them) when reporting the problem.
At the village hall, Community Park, East of Chicago, Piggy’s Main Street Market and on this website.
- Dennis Hevener (440) 320-8037
- Tom Pellittieri (440) 309-8197
- Zoltan Zoltai (440) 371-8836
- Mark Leshinski (440) 522-8706