A building permit serves to ensure the work being conducted is in compliance with local, state, and/or national safety regulations. A permit also ensures that inspections will be completed during the required stages of construction and/or renovation. Inspections are competed by State and/or National Certified Inspectors.
All contractors are required to be registered in the Village of South Amherst. This includes contractors doing work that may not require a permit. In addition, all contractors doing electrical, plumbing, HVAC, fire suppression or fire alarm work must provide proof of State of Ohio Licensure when registering. Before hiring a contractor, please make sure they are currently registered to perform work in the Village of South Amherst
For a contractor to register with the Village, they must fulfill certain requirements. All contractors are required to be bonded and show proof of insurance. Contractors doing electrical, plumbing, HVAC, fire suppression or fire alarm work are also required to show proof of their state licensure. This protects property owners should the contractor damage any property. It also ensures that neighbors are protected should the contractor damage their property.
- Yes, if you are changing the footprint of your property
- Zoning permits are required for:
- new construction
- alteration or additions
- side walks
- swimming pools
- accessory buildings
- driveway pipes
- What you need for a permit:
- Parcel number, street address, phone number, approximate cost of project (minus labor), detailed plot drawing that includes; all existing structures, proposed structure, lot measurements and dimensions of proposed structure.
- Lot must be marked prior to inspection
- For permit please contact Laurie at [email protected] or call (440) 653-1382.
- Yes, if you want to build closer than 8’ to the lot line or closer than 20’ from back of principal building,
- Yes, if you want a front yard fence higher than 3’.
- To view zoning requirements - Check the zoning ordinances
Please see the link below for information:
- Ordinance 505.01 Dogs & Other Animals Running at Large
- Ordinance 505.08 Nuisance Conditions Prohibited
- Trash pickup is on Wednesdays. Trash containers may be placed roadside no sooner than 12 p.m. the day before trash collection and must be removed by 12 p.m. the day after trash collection.
- Bulk trash days for 2021 are as follows:
- January 20
- February 17
- Match 17
- April 21
- May 19
- June 23
- July 21
- August 18
- September 22
- October 20
- November 17
- December 22
- Please note same rule applies for bulk trash -may not be placed curbside until 12 p.m. the day before.
- Branches may be no larger than 4” in diameter
- Please have curbside the following weeks:
- January 4
- February 4
- March 1
- April 5
- May 3
- June 7
- July 12
- August 2
- September 13
- October 4
- November 1
- December 6
- If you have a sidewalk in front of your property, you are required to keep the sidewalks in repair and free from snow, ice or any nuisance. (ORC 723.011)
- All sidewalks must be maintained in a safe and passable manner.
- Elevations between stone slabs or concrete sections shall not vary by more than one (1) inch.
- When a driveway is of loose stone or gravel, said stone or gravel shall not cover the sidewalk. A through sidewalk must be maintained through the driveway and must meet sidewalk requirements as set forth in Ord. 660.
Property owners will receive their bills from the County Treasurer a minimum of 20 days prior to that due date. If you have questions about making a payment or when taxes are due, contact the Treasurer (440) 329-5787.
Council Meeting Information
- Council generally meets on the second and fourth Monday of each month with the exception of the December at 7:00 p.m. Please refer to the Village Calendar.
- Council meets as a Committee of the Whole on the second Monday of each month immediately following the regular council meeting, with the exception of December.
- All meetings are open to the public with the exception of Executive Session.
Visitors are recognized and may address Council on the second and fourth Monday of the month.
Yes, they may be viewed by visiting Ordinance page
Citations, Income Tax, Permits (Building, Contractor, Zoning & Rummage), Water
If it is not an emergency, leave a voice mail with the department you have called or call the Mayor’s Office at (440) 986-2222 ext. 3 to leave a message and it will get directed to the proper person the next business day. You may also send an email by using the Contact Page on this website.
If it is an emergency call 911
If the light is a traffic signal
If it is a regular street light you may call AEP directly at 877-237-2886 and they will make a repair note. You may also go to https://aepohio.com/outages/report/StreetlightProblem.aspx to report any outages. It is best if you are able to describe the location well or have a pole number (all poles have a number on them) when reporting the problem.