Resident Information

REMEMBER!  You may now pay your Village of South Amherst water bills, income tax payments and cemetery payments right here on our village website just by clicking the "Pay Now" button below.  This will take you to our payment website to set up your bank account information to utilize this feature.  If you have any questions, please call us at (440) 986-2222.  This is a new feature for us, and we hope that you find this helpful.  To pay your bill, simply click the "Pay Now" button below.

Rummage Sales Permits

Permits may be abtained at town hall for a $5.00 registration fee.  Residents are permitted 2 sales a year.

Village Wide Rummage Sale

2021 dates TBA.


The Financial Report for the Village of South Amherst for 2018 has been completed. The Report is available for inspection as of March 1, 2019 at the Fiscal Officer's Office at 103 West Main Street during normal business hours.
Michelle Henke, Fiscal Officer.

Tree Limb/Branch Pick-up

Tree limbs and branches will be picked up the first full week of each month at the curb.

Bulk Garbage Pick-up

Bulk garbage pick-up is the third (3) Wednesday following the first (1) Monday of the month. For calendar year 2020 those days will be: 1/22, 2/19, 3/18, 4/22, 5/20, 6/17, 7/22, 8/19, 9/23, 10/21, 11/18, 12/23. (Residents must have an account with Republic.)

2021 Dumpster Days

To be announced.

Please bring your water bill or driver's license to show proof of residence in the Village. We cannot take tires, paint, or construction material. We will take appliances that use Freon; however, they must be tagged that the Freon has been removed. We will also take batteries.

Items such as yard waste, clothing, light bulbs including Christmas lights, wood, chains, garden hoses, shredded paper, car parts (especially brake rotors, pots and pans, polystyrene(stryafoam) & aluminum foil may all be taken. None of these items should be placed in your green recycle containers. As of 2013, Republic Services has new equipment and these items cannot be processed as recycleable material.

Village Requirements

Please keep in mind that the Village follows the Ohio State Residence Building and Electrical Codes.

The Village requires permits for landscape and grading and for tapping into the storm sewers.

Please contact Mayor Leshinski at (440-986-8221) for tapping into the storm sewers.
Please contact Town Hall staff to apply for permits for building, landscape, grading & zoning at (440) 986-2222 ext. 5.

Sidewalk Maintenance

If you have a sidewalk in front of your property, you are required to keep the sidewalks in repair and free from snow, ice or any nuisance. (ORC 723.011)

All sidewalks must be maintained in a safe and passable manner. Elevations between stone slabs or concrete sections shall not vary by more than one (1) inch.

When a driveway is of loose stone or gravel, said stone or gravel shall not cover the sidewalk. A through sidewalk must be maintained through the driveway and must meet sidewalk requirements as set forth in Ord. 660.

If you would like to read the Ordinances with regard to sidewalks, please follow the link to Walter Drane Company under the Related Links section of the Village web site.

If you have questions regarding your sidewalk, please contact the Zoning Department, at (440) 986-2222 ext. 5.

Lorain County Emergency Notification System

Lorain County has an emergency noticication system that is available for you to sign up for at  Once you get to their page, there is a link for the application on the left side of the screen under the category of "Programs, Initiatives, & Partnerships.  You will be able to sign up for emergency notifications for more than just the Village of South Amherst.  You will also be able to choose the method of notification.

Republic Waste is the company that handles the Village of South Amherst trash removal

To get trash service, call 1-800-433-1309.  The village participates in a recycling program where residence are assigned one blue container for trash and one green container for recycable material from Republic Waste.  They can take newspapers, magazines, junk mail, milk and juice containers, beverage containers (empty)-aluminum, glass, plastic #1-#7 (detergent bottles, etc), and metal.

Trash pick-up is every Wednesday, with the bulk waste service day is the Wednesday following the third Monday of the month.  Trash containers may be placed roadside no sooner than 12 p.m. the day before trash collection and must be removed by 12 p.m. the day after trash collection.

Department of Commerce shares Cable TV FAQs

The Department of Commerce would like to share some important information about Cable television companies.  They have provided the flyer attached.