Water Department

Mission Statement

We are committed to providing our customers with cost effective systems and services through teamwork, innovation, and continuous improvement.

New Water Customers

If you are a new home owner or renter, we would like to welcome you to the village. There is a security deposit of $100.00 for residential customers and a $200.00 deposit for commercial customers. If the water is currently off, there is also a $25.00 turn on fee. Security deposits are returned by applying the deposit to your water account if you are a home owner. Renters are returned after you move from the village. The payment type we accept is check, cash, or money order. We also need the form listed below submitted with the payment. You may drop off the form at the front desk at 103 W Main St or put in the mail slot at the front door of the building. Any questions, please call (440) 986-2202 Ext. 1.

New Resident Form


Due to recent events with the COVID-19 the Water Department has decided for the public safety and the safety of their employees to close taking payments in the lobby until further notice. Payments may be placed in the mail slot at the front side door of town hall or online.

If you have not taken advantage of setting up your online bill pay or need help, please call us at (440) 986-2202, Ext 1 and leave a message. The water clerk will return your call and help you get it set up. If you are not interested in this service, payments that were usually dropped off in the lobby should now be placed in the mail slot at the front door of town hall until further notice. Payments may also be mailed. Click on the Green Pay Now button below to set up the online bill pay service.

Please check back here for updates.

Water Rate & User Fee Increase effective January 1, 2020 will appear on February 2021 billing

On December 9th, 2019 the Council passed an ordinance for a water rate increase of 2 percent per year for the next three years and a user fee of $15.00 for water system improvements. Click here for a copy of the ordinance. The increase will appear on the billing for February 2021.

Water Administration and Supplier Information

The Board of Public Affairs administers the South Amherst water system, including billing and repair of water lines located on public property. Village water is delivered to us by the Rural Lorain County Water System. For information regarding the system or for turn-on and turn-off requests, please call the Board of Public Affairs Clerk at (440) 986-2202, Ext 1.

For Water Emergencies, please contact Mayor Leshinski at (440) 986-8221 or (440) 714-4247.

EXCITING NEWS! You may now pay your Village of South Amherst water bills right here on our village website just by clicking the "Pay Now" button below. This will take you to our payment website to set up your bank account information to utilize this feature. If you have any questions, please call us at (440) 986-2202, Ext 1. This is a new feature for us, and we hope that you find this helpful. To pay your bill, simply click the "Pay Now" button below.

Water payments can also be paid at the following:

  • South Amherst Village Hall (Mail Slot only until further notice)
  • Piggy's Main Street Market (They are still taking payments at this time)
  • Drug Mart on Leavitt Road in Amherst or Oberlin (They are still taking payments at this time)

It may be necessary for us to contact you from time to time. Please let us know if your contact information changes.

Quality of Water

We are required to publish a report annually about the quality of our water. It is called a CCR Report. Please click the link below to obtain a copy of the report.

CCR Report 2020

Water Advisories

Currently, there are no boil alerts.

If you are under a boil alert, you should boil water vigorously for one minute for water used for drinking, cooking, brushing teeth, making ice, or other consumption. You do not need to boil water for bathing, washing dishes, laundry or other external uses. If your water is brown, orange, or yellow, you may not want to do laundry. If your laundry is discolored from brown water, you may try to use a product called Iron Out.

Questions regarding the Lorain County Stormwater Management District?

Click the following link stormwater.loraincounty.us/ .