TAX INFORMATION FOR VILLAGE RESIDENTS
- EFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2022 - The Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA) will begin collecting municipal income tax for the village.
RITA CONTACT INFO
Mail: RITA P.O.BOX 477900 Broadview Hts. OH 44147-7900
FILING DUE DATES FOR INCOME TAX WILL FOLLOW FEDERAL GUIDELINES.
The Village of South Amherst, Ohio has a MANDATORY income tax filing for any person 18 years of age or older.
182.081 Credit For Tax Paid To Another Municipality:
A tax payer, subject to tax in more than o ne municipality on the same income, who has compiled with the provisions of the Chapter, shall be allowed a credit towards the Village of South Amherst income tax on such as provided herein:
(A) When a resident of South Amherst is subject to and has paid or acknowledged liability for a municipal income tax in another municipality on the same income taxable under this chapter, such South Amherst resident shall nonetheless still be liable to the Village of South Amherst , pursuant to the terms of this section, to pay nine tenths of one percent of such taxable income to the Village of South Amherst.
(B) When a non resident of South Amherst is subject to the tax imposed by this chapter, and is also subject to tax on the same income in the municipality of this residence, he shall not be allowed any credit or claim of refund, nor will the Village of South Amherst acknowledge or allow any claim for refund of any portion of such tax so levied. (Passed June 27, 2022)
Estimated payments are MANDATORY if your tax (less the credit for taxes paid to another city) is greater than $200.00. They are set up at the time of filing or at any time by informing the tax office.
The Village will honor federal extensions. If you file an extension, please inform the tax office in writing by April 15th. Failure to request an extension before the April 15th due date will result in a $25.00 late filing penalty per month.
* New Residents You will need to file a Village return based on the number of months you were a resident. Our calculations are based on whole month or half month. Only include the W2's of wages earned while a resident of the Village.
* All residents over 18 including Retirees You are required to file a return, even if no income is earned or no tax is due. Retired residents who have no taxable income are required to file an exemption certificate each year beginning in tax year 2016.
College Students If your parents or legal guardians reside in the Village and they claim you as a dependent on their federal income tax return, your residence is also considered in the Village and you must file a return if you have any earned income. If you do not have earned income, you must complete an exemption certificate stating, in writing, that you have no earned income.
* Under 18 If you were employed in the Village and your employer withheld Village taxes, please send us your W2 statement along with a copy of your birth certificate or driver’s license. A refund will be issued to you.
* Moving out? Please notify the tax office as soon as possible so that a tax form can be mailed to your new address. You will need to file for the portion of the year that you were a resident here and finalize your account.
Payments may be made directly to RITA via their website portal, mail, credit card or bank draft (click the PAY NOW button below).
If you have any questions regarding PAY NOW, please call the Village Hall at 440-986-2222.
CURRENT TAX FORMS
Also available at www.ritario.com
Net Profit Estimated Income Tax &/or Extension
Estimated Income Tax &/or Extension
Business Registration Form